Anita Shagnea's research interests lie in integrating technology with math education, adding interdisciplinary components to courses, enhancing online education to help students achieve their study and career goals, and creating programs to help diverse high school and university students see the value of a STEM education. See her CV here.
Applied Math in Action! High School Summer Program
Professor Shagnea, along with Dr. Curtis Holliman, runs the Applied Math in Action! Summer Program, a one week residential experience at CUA for pre-college students. The program is a mixed study of applied mathematics to inspire students to study and work in STEM fields -- everything from cryptography to graph theory to math modelling, and trips around Washington DC, including the National Monuments, NASA, the NSA Cryptologic Museum, and the Air and Space Museum. More information is available here.
Online Precalcus Review Course
Developed by Professor Shagnea and Professor Josh Himmelsbach, this course is available during the summer to help students prepare for college mathematics. The course website is here. Professor Shagnea also submitted an NSF proposal using this course to research more effective online teaching strategies.
- Getting Students on Track: experience with a newly developed self-paced online pre-calculus review course at The Catholic University of America, Anita M. Shagnea, Joshua Himmelsbach and Kiran Bhutani. Joint Mathematics Meetings, MAA Contributed Paper Session on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Collegiate Mathematics. Baltimore, Maryland, January 2019.
- An evaluation of a DO-178A software development process, A. M. Shagnea and K. J. Hayhurst. Proceedings of the IEEE 10th Digital Avionics Systems Conference. pp. 97 – 102, 1991.
- Managing the Development and Verification of Avionics Software, Anita M. Shagnea and Kelly J. Hayhurst. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Testing Computer Software. pp. 137-146, 1990.
- Application of Industry-Standard Guidelines for the Validation of Avionics Software, Kelly J. Hayhurst and Anita M. Shagnea. Proceedings of the IEEE 9th Digital Avionics Systems Conference. pp. 278-282, 1990.
- Data Collection and Descriptive Analysis: A First Step for Developing Quality Software, Anita M. Shagnea, Kelly J. Hayhurst, and B. Edward Withers. Proceedings of the 4th Annual Conference on Computer Assurance. pp. 58-65, 1989.
- Software Verification Plan for GCS, L.A. Dent, A.M. Shagnea, K.J. Hayhurst. NASA Contractor Report NASA-TM-101668, February 1990.
- GCS (Guidance and Control Software) Plan for Software Aspects of Certification, A.M. Shagnea, D.S. Lowman, and B.E. Withers. NASA Contractor Report 181972, February 1990.
- GCS (Guidance and Control Software) Programmer’s Manual, D.S. Lowman, B.E. Withers, A.M. Shagnea, L.A. Dent, K.J. Hayhurst. NASA Technical Report 102721, December 1990.
- GCS (Guidance and Control Software) Development Specification Review Description, A.M. Shagnea and J.R. Dunham. NASA Technical Report NAS1-17964, 1989.
- RTCA/DO-178B, "Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification," December 1, 1992. U.S. Government standard for creation/approval of software-based avionics systems. Part of committee which created this document.